You can find all my lessons at http://www.spanishfreelessonsonline.com/list-lessons/ or at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v8J281hMF2oE&listPLKQEL9j11yiUQ5SWdkc6ZT6A1NRoaskst
Why Because in Spanish
Lets begin by stressing that "por qué" and "porque" have different meanings.
Literally speaking, if we do a word for word translation, "por qué" means "for what". So, "for what" is how we say WHY in Spanish.
But the word for "because" is one word: PORQUE (note how there is no space, because it is only one word).
Also, the question "why" (por qué) carries a "tilde" (é), while the answer "because" (porque) doesn't carry a tilde. That is because "que" always carries a tilde when it implies a question.
For more information regarding the rules for Spanish accents, please refer to the following lessons:
Lesson 294: Spanish accent rules (tildes) - Rule 1
Lesson 295: Spanish diphthongs & hiatus - Part1
Lesson 296: Spanish diphthongs & hiatus - Part 2
Lesson 297: Spanish accent rules (tildes) - Rule 3
Lesson 298: Spanish accent rules (tildes) - Rule 4
Why Because in Spanish - Examples
- ¿Por qué corres? - Why do you run?
- Porque estoy apurado/a - Because I am in a hurry
- ¿Por qué bebes tanta agua? - Why do you drink so much water?
- Porque tengo mucha sed - Because I am very thirsty
- ¿Por qué comes tanto? - Why do you eat so much?
- Porque tengo mucha hambre - Because I am very hungry
- ¿Por qué lloras? - Why do you cry?
- Porque estoy triste - Because I am sad
- ¿Por qué te vas? - Why do you leave?
- Porque debo ir a trabajar - Because I must go to work
I recommend all my students that follow my online courses to do the exams that I upload to my website. The topic of this lesson (Why Because in Spanish) is included in Spanish Quiz Nbr. 5 (lessons 27 - 34).
To enlarge the video-screen to full-size, click on the right icon on the lower right corner of the video.